Friday 29 February 2008

Halfway Hall

We had the first evening of auditions last night - the next is on Sunday.

A very good turnout - I could cast the play from those alone, if I were to choose to. But that would be unfair on the people who are coming on Sunday, so I won't!

We've even had a couple of new prospective members coming along, with at least one or two more expected at the weekend. It's very gratifying that people want to join Ottershaw Players - we've obviously got a good reputation to attract new members - but unfortunately there aren't enough parts for all the exisiting members, let alone the new folks. I hope that if people don't get a part they understand that it's nothing personal!

The hardest decisions to make when casting are having to leave out someone who is a very talented actor. Sometimes they are just not physically right for the part (too old; too young; too tall; too short; too stout; too thin) and even though you know they would give a corking performance, if only the character was different, there's just no way you can shoehorn them in. I sometimes wonder, when telling someone these reasons for not casting them, whether they really believe you, or if they think it's just an excuse.

All I do know is that on Sunday night I'm going to have some tough decisions to make...

No comments: